Wednesday 31 December 2014

Opinion: Paul Sylvester - Religious Hypocrisy in Nigeria!


I grew up and abide by the doctrines of the Pentecostal church. Growing up as a kid was fun and inspirational especially during those church conventions where I was opportuned to see
great men of God including Pastors Chris Oyakhilome and E. A. Adeboye. The essence of the religion as we were made to know was to create that closer relationship with God and strengthen our faith but alas, all those are history.

In Nigeria today, religion has become the fourth tier of government. In my discourse with several people, I have been made to swallow some odd arguments on what religion is and what it ought to be. I decided to take my pen and note down some things when I came across this caption on the Internet “‘NIGERIA WILL NEVER GROW UNTIL A PASTOR BECOMES PRESIDENT’ credited to a so called bishop.

In many national events, prayers are said by both Islamic and Christian adherents to commit deliberations into the hands of God even when the outcome might have already been predetermined by the hands of men. Even in the private sector, notably some banks, especially those the CBN took over their management also practise this. There were daily corporate supplications to God before commencement of business. Those are the helm claimed to be Pastors and yet acted otherwise. It was never relevant that some ‘smart’ people were already manipulating events outside of God.

At motor parks, there are all manners of charlatans masquerading as evangelists spreading the gospel. They offer prayers and wait to get donations from people. There are also prayer warriors who have no qualms cheating customers while conducting their businesses after their profession of holiness. I will for the sake of not turning the article to a sort of comic relief intentionally avoid including the numerous church posters, banners and names.

The results of the foregoing is that a resource endowed country like Nigeria where majority of the citizens live below poverty line now holds the dubious distinction of having the highest concentration of private jets in Africa with Christian clerics topping the chart. Yes! I know many will say they are men of God why can’t they fly private jets or that the private jet were gifts from their church members. This begs this question: God seems to hear the personal prayers of Nigerians for a better personal life but when it comes to extending such prayers to our national life such as national security, what happens to the same God? Something is wrong somewhere!

Today, many otherwise respectable Christians in government and business would consummate deals that compromise both personal and religious principles, and break any law all in the bid to make money. After all said and done, the ill-gotten wealth is donated as offerings, tithes and personal gifts to clerics who do not ask questions. Others would also steal public fund and spend part of the proceeds either to erect mosques or to send some poor hungry folks to perform religious activities in Saudi Arabia. In a fashion almost akin to an armed robber sending relief materials to his victims in a perverted sense of benevolence.

Unfortunately this wave of greed in the church is catching on in the secular world. In a recent communiqué posted by the fiery bishop Matthew Kuka, he described the complacent exhibition of opulence by church leaders as embarrassing. The acquisition of private jets by Christian leaders, the erudite bishop noted that it diminishes the moral voice of the church in the fight against corruption.

Series of arguments are in support or against this wild chase of opulence among church leaders, who acquire private jumbo jets which comes in millions of American dollars, both in the purchase and maintenance. Personally I keep reflecting on the lifestyle of the greatest missionary that ever lived, Jesus Christ. For 21 of 33 years Christ spent on earth, he went about preaching the gospel on his legs and oh! before you say there were no cars or jets then, remember in the same bible how Satan took Jesus to the mountain top and showed him the beauty and comfort of the world.

I presume there were faster and more comfortable medium of transport down the hill that Satan showed to Jesus but He refused. He preferred his legs. I began to imagine how many contemporary pastors today will reject the “devil’s offer”. They will accept the gifts, after all they are using it to spread the gospel isn’t?

I recall a personal instance on arriving at the domestic wing of Lagos airport some years back, I was to meet up with an appointment then. I was able to get a cab, but just as the taxi driver was about to put my luggage in the trunk, something happened. I got the shock of my life by this man who told me he had to rush somewhere hence had to take over my taxi. I was shocked not by his actions but by the next phrase that came out of his mouth immediately “please kid, I am a general overseer of a big ministry, look for another taxi because I am late for a crusade.” What! The only reason I didn’t round my fist up his face was his size. He obviously weighed pounds ahead of me. I had to leave (easy does it).

Former President Obasanjo was asked in a foreign diplomatic conference in 2004 in Berlin by a German CEO ‘’Mr. President I wrote to the necessary aviation authorities in your country requesting for the operations of my airline but for months my request has not been attended to”. Obasanjo replied “have you paid your bills and necessary tax fares?” The CEO answered “not yet”. Obasanjo then replied “when you pay the money I will attend to you personally”.

I was again utterly shocked when a Nigerian foreign minister was asked almost the same question in similar circumstances in 2008 by an Indian CEO and he replied “Mr Chairman, you have not been attended to yet because your airline displays a Hindu symbol on the aircraft. Nigeria is strictly Islam and Christian so your company will not sell.”

I am not in any way suggesting that religion is not important or God should not have a place in our national life. No! I can’t say that because I believe God presides over the affairs of us all. Every Nigerian should hold on to his/her faith but religion should never be a weapon of manipulation by politicians or exploitation by religious leaders and business leaders. Religion is NOT a national ideology, and that is why I love soccer. All prayers without hard work and strife will lead to futility in the 90 minutes game. If prayer could win trophies, trust me, mine could have won Arsenal 6 champions league!

I wish you all the best this new year and please, if you want a better 2015, work harder and don’t think God designed the year with your NAME on it as a tag.

God bless Nigeria!


Thank you for taking out time to digest my hand inscriptions which is solely based on personal views. It was not written to spite any individual or group. Happy New Year to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...